Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animation canceling, Dodging, weaving

Comments

• Options
    All mmorpgs inspire each other, there is not really should not inspire as all have good points that they have done well in some form. Which is nothing new as WoW inspired a lot of mmorpgs, some just took a lot rather then a little from it. The feel of BDO combat being a great thing to pull some elements from.
  • Options
    ItsmeTokiItsmeToki Member
    edited July 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    All mmorpgs inspire each other, there is not really should not inspire as all have good points that they have done well in some form. Which is nothing new as WoW inspired a lot of mmorpgs, some just took a lot rather then a little from it. The feel of BDO combat being a great thing to pull some elements from.

Its clear that he was talking about the combat system/ gameplay of those games not beeing optimal, didnt he?
    But overall u are right, that mmos inspire each other :)

• Options
    ItsmeToki wrote: »

Its clear that he was talking about the combat system/ gameplay of those games not beeing optimal, didnt he?

Didn't realize you were talking for him, BDO combat is one of the best for action so its very optimal in the feeling of using your skills as not as you don't add balance into the fact. Combat being something you look at other mmorpgs and see what they have done and use elements of it, dodge being included.

1. Again you are assuming designed can't balance the game with use of skills vrs dodge and cooldowns.
    2. You want to lower the skill curve as much as possible so things are pointless and you can just smack skills and have them always hit.
  • Options

Its clear that he was talking about the combat system or not?

Didn't realize you were talking for him, BDO combat is one of the best for action so its very optimal in the feeling of using your skills as not as you don't add balance into the fact. Combat being something you look at other mmorpgs and see what they have done and use elements of it, dodge being included.

1. Again you are assuming designed can't balance the game with use of skills vrs dodge and cooldowns.
    2. You want to lower the skill curve as much as possible so things are pointless and you can just smack skills and have them always hit.

I must admit you are a stubborn kind of human being :)
    Nobody wants to lower anything here. You can speak for action combat and for yourself. I myself speak out for tabtargeting or whatever lays between action and tab and not having to cross aim or dodge roll everything. I simply dont want to have a game with a combat system trying to be the next CS:GO only as an MMO. Just like New World trys to be with its musket, blunderbuss or bow weappons which funtion noticeable similar as their counterparts in shooter games. Try to be polite. Just because ppl have other opinion on how a game should look, you shouldnt offend them in every second statement. Especially if you dont know what tab target skill for PvP combat means, cause u have never actually played wow... Thanks
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022

Nobody wants to lower anything here. You can speak for action combat and for yourself. I myself speak out for tabtargeting or whatever lays between action and tab and not having to cross aim or dodge roll everything. I simply dont want to have a game with a combat system trying to be the next CS:GO only as an MMO. Just like New World trys to be with its musket, blunderbuss or bow weappons which funtion noticeable similar as their counterparts in shooter games. Try to be polite. Just because ppl have other opinion on how a game should look, you shouldnt offend them in every second statement. Especially if you dont know what tab target skill for PvP combat means, cause u have never actually played wow... Thanks

Yeah! Be kind to the wow nerds!

Joking aside tho, im excited for a hybrid system... not just action or tab...
  • Options

When you bring up counter strike and there is nothing to do with counter strike gameplay and ashes of creation. What are you even talking about except saying random things that don't make sense. There are no automatic rifles in AoC, there are no iframes in counter strike.

AoC might not be for you, shooters dont use iframes, action games do....

mv791eg0pg5c.png
  • Options
    Love when people want to lower the skill ceiling without actually saying it directly.
  • Options
    ItsmeTokiItsmeToki Member
    edited July 2022
    When you bring up counter strike and there is nothing to do with counter strike gameplay and ashes of creation. What are you even talking about except saying random things that don't make sense. There are no automatic rifles in AoC, there are no iframes in counter strike.

AoC might not be for you, shooters dont use iframes, action games do....

mv791eg0pg5c.png
    [/quote]

Here we go again twisting words and intentionally missing out on important information when commenting on other statements. Its pointless to argue with you, You dont wonna have a conversation you just want to impose your opinion on others...

And by the way, if you call other ppls statements false and random make sure that every statement you give is correct.
    Here a quick lesson about what an action game and a shooter is: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooter_(Computerspielgenre)

IN one part it says: "Most Shooters are action games", just in case you are too lazy to read :)
  • Options
    Calls a mmo trying to be a shooter like counter strike, the mmo has nothing to do with counter strike or the systems...Then you are salty when you get called out for it classic. If your comparison is a game is a shooter because you aim a skill that is sucha false comparison in trying to exaggerate something. Shooters don't generally have iframes in it either, you are literarily making things up. And i've played some of the most fast pace arena shooters....Again you are exaggerating or you don't know the difference between a shooter and a action game. Mmorpgs having traits from action games to build their combat is completely fine , but I guess by your standards dragon's dogma is a shooter.
  • Options
    Calls a mmo trying to be a shooter like counter strike, the mmo has nothing to do with counter strike or the systems...Then you are salty when you get called out for it classic. If your comparison is a game is a shooter because you aim a skill that is sucha false comparison in trying to exaggerate something. Shooters don't generally have iframes in it either, you are literarily making things up. And i've played some of the most fast pace arena shooters....Again you are exaggerating or you don't know the difference between a shooter and a action game. Mmorpgs having traits from action games to build their combat is completely fine , but I guess by your standards dragon's dogma is a shooter.

Dragons dogma is a shooter, confirmed. I just called my pointless argument guy, and he has comfirmed it. He also wonders if this argument has any grounds, points, or overall ideas, because if it does his opinions are immediately void, as he is my pointless argument advisor.
  • Options

Dragons dogma is a shooter, confirmed. I just called my pointless argument guy, and he has comfirmed it. He also wonders if this argument has any grounds, points, or overall ideas, because if it does his opinions are immediately void, as he is my pointless argument advisor.

Guessing this is a slight to me, does your pointless argument guy of a phd in pushing the limit of what something is called. So if that is seemed as a shooter then to take more elements away, and you keep pushing it back until it becomes purely tab target. This one might be out of his realm.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    Um. There is such a thing as an MMOFPS.
    RPG is not the only type of MMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Not really. No.
  • Options

Guessing this is a slight to me, does your pointless argument guy of a phd in pushing the limit of what something is called. So if that is seemed as a shooter then to take more elements away, and you keep pushing it back until it becomes purely tab target. This one might be out of his realm.

As my pointless argument guy is, my pointless argument guy... to argue with him would be.....

Surely you know what bait is correct?
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

As my pointless argument guy is, my pointless argument guy... to argue with him would be.....

Surely you know what bait is correct?

Asked the catcher to the caught…

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This reminds me of the Combo Systems thread from wayyy back every time we reach this spot in a conversation.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Not really. No.

Yes actually. On mmorpgs being inspired and that BDO has great combat, feeling and flow. On BDO exactly though we simply could break down every element on good and bad parts. Unless you break down the elements you aren't going to see what I see. So if your view is mashing buttons, no skills, giant aoes, mobs dying in one hit you aren't seeing the same things I see. Hence you would be saying no while not even slightly trying to understand my point of view with what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Says you...
    That's about it.

And, yeah, BDO is just button-mashing and face-rolling. That much is true.
  • Options
    For all the people from bdo, who show up and argue that bdo combat needs to be the foundation of combat... im just over here wondering why you're here instead of playing bdo...
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For all the people from bdo, who show up and argue that bdo combat needs to be the foundation of combat... im just over here wondering why you're here instead of playing bdo...

To be fair it is because everything else about BDO really sucks.

And because Ashes' combat is not that far from BDO, so some people see potential there.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Says you...
    That's about it.

And, yeah, BDO is just button-mashing and face-rolling. That much is true.

Grinding with your rotation yes, but I'm not talking about grinding or how that is. Im talking about the feeling and use of your skill when chained with others. Responsiveness when you use your dodge ability and that it is fluid and not a mess. You also have a stamina bar in bdo, does AoC need that, idk it depends how they want to do their systems. They could do it as a skill that lets you block for a set amount of time and can break out of it whenever you want as long as it feels fluid and not clunky. Though a skill face direction and such would matter, and of course it mainly ups you block rate chance, etc.
  • Options
    Yep. Still irrelevant.
  • Options
    to be fair, BDO's combat is great for what the game is, I dont think it is great for high-end pve content, at least not the type of content we are used to.
    However I think the "foundation" of the combat is great, its visceral, its smooth and satisfying, if it had way less AoE spam and more utlility, it would be pretty good.
  • Options

Because BDO is trash from lack of content, a game that was suppose to focus on PvP elements for years didn't add better pvp content to do. New areas and mobs they add are often rekins, and the same old content from the game gets recycled with a reason to do it again. Pay to win and pay for convince are bad with constant cash grabs and sales trying to get more of your money. Its a competitive game where gear matters the feeling of losing to someone sometimes can cause people to push their gear as it blows up with some of the worst rng enhancing.

Combat has good elements but it is dilled up to high and too fast with characters being able to blink and teleport everywhere every 2 seconds or less. Because of the moment its hard to read some of the stuff going on with instant teleporting everywhere, broken grabs (though nerfed now). Too much giant aoe , complete class imbalance, pvp akin to cat and mouse with some classes able to chain multiple iframes or linger forever in iframe. I could go on.

At its core with how skills are used, the feeling, the flow of skills, and other basic elements are done very well. Though there is a high learning curve to be able to move and player the game properly with your class else it will feel clunky. When you know how to play your class its very response and easy to control like water.

That is the short form.
  • Options
    falcorpix wrote: »
    to be fair, BDO's combat is great for what the game is, I dont think it is great for high-end pve content, at least not the type of content we are used to.
    However I think the "foundation" of the combat is great, its visceral, its smooth and satisfying, if it had way less AoE spam and more utlility, it would be pretty good.

Facts
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    to be fair, BDO's combat is great for what the game is...
    EXACTLY!!!

• Options
    to be fair, BDO's combat is great for what the game is...
    EXACTLY!!!

No one is talking about BDO like that for pve, we are talking about the feeling and fluid motion of BDO combat wise. And of course being done in a way where it feels fluid to everyone not just people that understand all the secrets of the combat system.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    It's really just you.

And, they don't need to look at BDO to make any of the combat "fluid".
  • Options
    It's really just you.

No one needs to do anything, but people aren't going to ignore the work other people did either. You don't work on a blank canvas or redo the wheel from scratch. I get you hate bdo because you didn't want to understand it, that is fine. I understand it as do others and know the strengths of the good aspects.

And no its not just me, if you actually wanted to play and understand the game you could have. Instead you don't care about other peoples view points because you hated the game and didn't even attempt to get decent at the combat. You tip toed on the outside and don't have a strong perspective on the bad and the good of the game.

Until you actually spend time on the game you shouldn't be speaking on the mechanics of the gameplay like you seen it all as you clearly haven't.
  • Options
    ZyvanZyvan Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    It's incredible how just the mention of BDO causes most people to shut their brains off.
    It's really just you.

Funny you should say that considering BDO was one of the MMOs Steven claimed to be pulling inspiration from around the time Alpha 1 was running.

If I recall correctly, the 3 games mentioned were Archeage for skill synergies and the way they worked with each other, GW2 for mobility, and BDO for its hit effects and visceral feeling of landing abilities on enemies.