Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could there be a server where you only have 1 character?

Comments

• Options
    xmixxmix Member
    All servers can be 1 character only. Just don't create any others.

I can't understand these 2 sentences.or you want to say that I should make 1 character and not care that others will have 8 characters
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    xmix wrote: »

I can't understand these 2 sentences.or you want to say that I should make 1 character and not care that others will have 8 characters

Yes, that is exactly what he is saying. If you don't like having more than one character, then don't. No one is forcing you to do anything. What you don't get to do is dictate how others may play.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

Yes, that is exactly what he is saying. If you don't like having more than one character, then don't. No one is forcing you to do anything. What you don't get to do is dictate how others may play.

I like sensible comments. these two are not, but I appreciate that you tried to interpret the conversation.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

I would be happy if you read old conversations about the problems that I raised and think about them a little before you immediately attack. and anyway, at the end of most it is written that I want 1(-2) such servers, not that all of them should be like this.even if it were to succeed, which is a small chance, it would not affect 90% of the players.even if it were to succeed, which is a small chance, it would not affect 80-90% of the players. I described what negative effects I think the many alt characters will have in the later phases of the server.
  • Options
    The largest problem with Archeage was lack of character slots.

Say what you will, altaholics can be a good healthy part of a MMO. While some such players may not reach max level, they will start a new character every so often, helping to keep the leveling population a healthy size.
  • Options
    Not good, only 1 character? No way, you gotta have your far away character to check market and other stuff and handle things for you when you are not around
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    If this server was also RP it would be the only server I played on.
  • Options
    I would love to see that. It would support my idea of super-specializing in one of the areas: fight or crafting. Now we have max points used in some dps/tank/heal skill tree and max points used in some crafting. My idea would be adding a bit of points at the top of that. And that would be being slightly better in fighting or crafting (or maybe even in utility skills)... I posted that in some other post, but what I mean would roughly look like that:

Example 1: I want to have meta dps build. I distribute 90 points in warrior dps tree, I distribute 90 points in crafting tree... and maybe 90 points in utility skills - I've never seen any game like that, but maybe that would be interesting? And when I reach max level I have another 10 points to distribute. So obviously I put all 10 points in dps - now I am mega-uber-hiper-big-dick dps warrior with 5cm longer... sword.

Example 2: I am bored of doing raids if I am forced to get highest dps, optimize my rotation, etc... frustrating. In exchange I would like to be useful different way - for example by some kind of utility skill (like in most rpg systems - D&D, Warhammer, whatever). So I have 90 points in my dps tree, 90 points in crafting tree (alchemy, whatever), 90 points in utility skills. And my last 10 points I put into very specialized utility skills - like unlocking the last door behind last boss with extra loot, opening 30 minutes shortcut in 3 hours long dungeon. So yes, I will not do as much damage as others but I maybe I can be invited to the raids to get these UNIQUE LOOT (it doesn't need to be better than last boss loot - but unique any other way), or maybe make the same raid faster (useful if you do it for 100 time).

Example 3: I want to be known as one of the best crafters in the game. So i get my 90 points in healing tree (let's say I am healer), 90 points in utility (like everyone), and 90 points in Blacksmithing. Now I am as good Blacksmith like any other player who has access to the best crafting stations in the biggest cities. But I'd like to spend my last 10 points in Blacksmithing and be able to make armor 5 points better than anybody else or add some visual feature and my signature. Or maybe I could have ability to improve existing armor by these 5 points? Everyone would respect the best crafter in the game... meta dps dudes would love to have slightly better axe or slightly more durable armor, meta healers would love to have slightly better staff, etc. But how to get invitation to raids if you do less healing than others? Maybe at the end of some of the dungeon we could have unique forge (different than in the biggest cities), where the fresh loot can be improved by these crafters - adding slightly to the stats?
    _____

That means you couldn't have 2nd character only for crafting purposes :D
  • Options
    oOKingOooOKingOo Member
    edited February 11
    I'm not sure what I like more myself.

The first really good MMO I played had one character per account, and I have to say I loved it. It makes your actions on this one character so much more important. Some people still had alts, but it mainly started as the server eventually got smaller and there were not enough crafters and such, but they had to pay for two memberships per month to have an alt. The effect this has is that you, as a player, are your character much more than in games where you have 10 alts. You were one class, you had one job, etc., instead of everyone having a character of every class and every job, so everyone is basically self-sufficient and plays every class on other characters. This meant different people were experts in different classes, and the best way to learn about another class's strengths and weaknesses was to talk to someone who played that class, instead of everyone being a master of every class and you making an alt of every class to look at all the abilities and find strengths and weaknesses. It just felt much more organic and believable. Now, I do think Ashes' class skill and augment systems are too complex for you to make an alt for every class and every possible way to play that class, but an alt of every archetype is definitely possible.

On the other hand, playing ESO would have been so annoying without alts because of the tiny inventory space (to be fair, the point of that was to be annoying to make people buy ESO Plus). I feel like inventory space is the main reason for alts anyways. But this could actually turn into a problem if I think about it. Ashes lives from risk and reward; nodes can be destroyed and storage can drop. When you die, you can drop certain loot. So why would people even store their important stuff there in the first place when they can also just give them to an alt that is offline a majority of the time and thus can't be killed? So even if you get killed or your node gets destroyed, you lose nothing important because you have the important stuff on your alt. I feel like it would have a negative effect on Ashes if people started doing that.

But to be honest, I think the player base nowadays is way too used to games like WoW where you can have alts. For only one character per account to be a popular idea, making a whole server for this would be a workaround, but the question is how populated this server would be because having a relatively high active server population is super important for MMOs. I don't have a good solution that is fine for both sides here. Maybe start with alts being a thing, but if you notice people use them to eliminate risk from the game, then make it so you can only have one character per account.
    Also ppl wont be able to make spy chas on that server wich could make politics either more interesting(recruiting new players as spys so opponents dont know they come from your guild) or more boring (ppl just not making spys at all).
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member

Mordimer wrote: »
    I would love to see that. It would support my idea of super-specializing in one of the areas: fight or crafting. Now we have max points used in some dps/tank/heal skill tree and max points used in some crafting. My idea would be adding a bit of points at the top of that. And that would be being slightly better in fighting or crafting (or maybe even in utility skills)... I posted that in some other post, but what I mean would roughly look like that:

Example 1: I want to have meta dps build. I distribute 90 points in warrior dps tree, I distribute 90 points in crafting tree... and maybe 90 points in utility skills - I've never seen any game like that, but maybe that would be interesting? And when I reach max level I have another 10 points to distribute. So obviously I put all 10 points in dps - now I am mega-uber-hiper-big-dick dps warrior with 5cm longer... sword.

Example 2: I am bored of doing raids if I am forced to get highest dps, optimize my rotation, etc... frustrating. In exchange I would like to be useful different way - for example by some kind of utility skill (like in most rpg systems - D&D, Warhammer, whatever). So I have 90 points in my dps tree, 90 points in crafting tree (alchemy, whatever), 90 points in utility skills. And my last 10 points I put into very specialized utility skills - like unlocking the last door behind last boss with extra loot, opening 30 minutes shortcut in 3 hours long dungeon. So yes, I will not do as much damage as others but I maybe I can be invited to the raids to get these UNIQUE LOOT (it doesn't need to be better than last boss loot - but unique any other way), or maybe make the same raid faster (useful if you do it for 100 time).

Example 3: I want to be known as one of the best crafters in the game. So i get my 90 points in healing tree (let's say I am healer), 90 points in utility (like everyone), and 90 points in Blacksmithing. Now I am as good Blacksmith like any other player who has access to the best crafting stations in the biggest cities. But I'd like to spend my last 10 points in Blacksmithing and be able to make armor 5 points better than anybody else or add some visual feature and my signature. Or maybe I could have ability to improve existing armor by these 5 points? Everyone would respect the best crafter in the game... meta dps dudes would love to have slightly better axe or slightly more durable armor, meta healers would love to have slightly better staff, etc. But how to get invitation to raids if you do less healing than others? Maybe at the end of some of the dungeon we could have unique forge (different than in the biggest cities), where the fresh loot can be improved by these crafters - adding slightly to the stats?
    _____

That means you couldn't have 2nd character only for crafting purposes :D

I think this belongs more to the development system. I wouldn't overcomplicate it, but everyone would have a lot of characters anyway.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Not good, only 1 character? No way, you gotta have your far away character to check market and other stuff and handle things for you when you are not around

if you have several characters in 1-2 cities. You don't have to go over there to check what they're selling for. Let's say it's a 25-minute drive between 1 castle and back there.You have to make the trip twice if you have 1 character, but if you have 1 character who checks the prices, then you only have to make the trip once.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Hop to the back of the queue.
    You ain't the only one asking for just 1 server with a different ruleset...

A 1 character server is infinitely more reasonable than a pve or pvp only server.
    Also people wanting an RP server.
    And if you cave for one request.... that just gives expectations for others.

It doesnt tho. The pvp/pve/rp only is a new ruleset. Essentially a comletely new game. OPs idea is literally changing one line of code "characterslots = 8" to "characterslots = 1" (this is just to show the principle) while leaving everything else the same.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    oOKingOooOKingOo Member
    edited February 11
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Another problem we have to be careful of is the main reason why too many servers, and different server options can be a problem. Splitting the playerbase. This is why no one wants a pve only server. We want those players on a single server (or the minimum amount of servers) so that the world is full and the economy is vibrant. And yes, a bit of that is more people to kill, but thats just the nature of a game like this and steven has already said hes not changing that.
    The playerbase is already split.

No its not the vast majority of the current playerbase havent even tested the game yet we didnt even have alpha 2 yet. Ppl dont even know yet what they are gonna like and what not. Just a typical case of ppl having an unchangable opinion about somehting they havent tried out yet.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Rp would make the server slower. Because if you made a new character, you would lose everything. That's why you would take better care of your reputation and not take on more risky things like killing people just randomly.because of this, the server might seem to be more Rp, but it would not be specifically so.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    cant wait for all the drama to move over to global chat >:)>:)>:)
    gonna enjoy the show in real time hahaha

Oh its gonna be the best ever xD Im gonna love every second of sweaty nerds hating each other in chat haha. Trashtalk is the true endgameloop.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »

worse is better. tbh reading drama in game after pvp makes pvp even better hahaha, specially when you win

Spoiler alert: We lose eventually. Many games casualize themselves over time. Fortnite, WoW, even a game like BDO. It's natural.

If the people who want an actual good game stand up and fight, you just may have it for a number of years. But all things pass. And someone steps into the void to right the wrongs. Right now that's Steven. One day though, hopefully many years from now, the shine and newness of AoC will have faded, sub numbers drop, and funky decisions start getting made to try anything to bump it up. You can pretty much count on it. In the meantime, we fight. lol

Very unlikely seeing how from plannig this project and every single aspect of it they are very very different from "Many games"
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    oOLu_BuOo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I like more myself.

The first really good MMO I played had one character per account, and I have to say I loved it. It makes your actions on this one character so much more important. Some people still had alts, but it mainly started as the server eventually got smaller and there were not enough crafters and such, but they had to pay for two memberships per month to have an alt. The effect this has is that you, as a player, are your character much more than in games where you have 10 alts. You were one class, you had one job, etc., instead of everyone having a character of every class and every job, so everyone is basically self-sufficient and plays every class on other characters. This meant different people were experts in different classes, and the best way to learn about another class's strengths and weaknesses was to talk to someone who played that class, instead of everyone being a master of every class and you making an alt of every class to look at all the abilities and find strengths and weaknesses. It just felt much more organic and believable. Now, I do think Ashes' class skill and augment systems are too complex for you to make an alt for every class and every possible way to play that class, but an alt of every archetype is definitely possible.

On the other hand, playing ESO would have been so annoying without alts because of the tiny inventory space (to be fair, the point of that was to be annoying to make people buy ESO Plus). I feel like inventory space is the main reason for alts anyways. But this could actually turn into a problem if I think about it. Ashes lives from risk and reward; nodes can be destroyed and storage can drop. When you die, you can drop certain loot. So why would people even store their important stuff there in the first place when they can also just give them to an alt that is offline a majority of the time and thus can't be killed? So even if you get killed or your node gets destroyed, you lose nothing important because you have the important stuff on your alt. I feel like it would have a negative effect on Ashes if people started doing that.

But to be honest, I think the player base nowadays is way too used to games like WoW where you can have alts. For only one character per account to be a popular idea, making a whole server for this would be a workaround, but the question is how populated this server would be because having a relatively high active server population is super important for MMOs. I don't have a good solution that is fine for both sides here. Maybe start with alts being a thing, but if you notice people use them to eliminate risk from the game, then make it so you can only have one character per account.
    Also ppl wont be able to make spy chas on that server wich could make politics either more interesting(recruiting new players as spys so opponents dont know they come from your guild) or more boring (ppl just not making spys at all).

yes, it wouldn't affect spying so well, but that would be the only 1 drawback.Let's say you are a woodcutter and there are 7 woodcutters in your town or every second character has 1 woodcutter character.it will also affect the price of the wood, or it will not be possible to sell it at all.
  • Options
    So, after reading through the whole conversation, I think the best solution is to allow alts but make our artisan skills account-wide. This means that across your entire account, you can only reach tier 5 artisan in two jobs, tier 4 in three jobs, etc. Essentially, this would implement what they planned for a character but make it account-wide for the artisan system, as this seems to be the main issue with alts that can actually make the game worse. Additionally, make it impossible to move items from one alt to another alt using the bank or something (like you can in ESO) to prevent people from putting all the valuable items on their alt instead of into their home/node storage. On top of that, only allow one Ashes of Creation client open at all times on a computer. If people really want to buy a whole other PC just to play two characters at once or want to pay double subscription to have two accounts, then forget them; the amount of people that do that will be so small, I don't think it'll be a problem.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    So, after reading through the whole conversation, I think the best solution is to allow alts but make our artisan skills account-wide. This means that across your entire account, you can only reach tier 5 artisan in two jobs, tier 4 in three jobs, etc. Essentially, this would implement what they planned for a character but make it account-wide for the artisan system, as this seems to be the main issue with alts that can actually make the game worse. Additionally, make it impossible to move items from one alt to another alt using the bank or something (like you can in ESO) to prevent people from putting all the valuable items on their alt instead of into their home/node storage. On top of that, only allow one Ashes of Creation client open at all times on a computer. If people really want to buy a whole other PC just to play two characters at once or want to pay double subscription to have two accounts, then forget them; the amount of people that do that will be so small, I don't think it'll be a problem.

if you have more caste, then it's not like we're looking for 1 missing person, but I'll switch to a tank or a healer and the team is complete. there will be small and large guilds with skill branches. for example, smaller guilds can gather better and the like. But if you have alt characters, you farm with one and fight with another
  • Options

if you have more caste, then it's not like we're looking for 1 missing person, but I'll switch to a tank or a healer and the team is complete. there will be small and large guilds with skill branches. for example, smaller guilds can gather better and the like. But if you have alt characters, you farm with one and fight with another

Well, personally, I will only play one character, at least for the first couple of years anyway, since I want to maximize my progress. But if people want to make alts and actually invest the time to make a tank and a healer that are both capable of doing high-level raids, then personally, I'm fine with them being able to do that. I don't think it'll hurt the game. I think everybody having every job at tier 5 and having valuable items essentially safe without risk with alts is a way bigger problem. At least that wouldn't be the case with my system. Personally, I didn't have a problem with ESO's system of being parts of multiple guilds either, so I don't see a problem with having alts and main characters in different guilds. Also, that's vital for the spying aspect. Although I do want only one guild per character, though. It just makes you way more connected to your guild than having five different guilds but not caring about any of them. If someone wants to make one fight and one farm character, it's fine with me too, because with the system I thought of, you would have to log into your main, go into a raid with your guild, then beat the boss, log out, log in with your farm character, go into the raid, and then you can farm the mats. Whereas if my fighting character is my farm character, I can just beat the boss and farm the mats. It would allow people to do what they want, but it would make sure not everybody has every job at tier 5, which I do think is the main issue people see with alts.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited February 11
    Other games have tried this and it doesn't last long term. Old school MMOs like SWG did it to a degree and people pushed constantly for an increase in character limit. People join a server like this, then get tired of the same character or yearn for variety and leave. Or a dominate faction emerges and you either join it or leave.

These types of servers become transient and inconsistent.

This really isn't an alt thread it's a pvp worry thread. Let's manage the pvp system on it's own, instead of fracturing the player base and taking away everyone's alts.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Other games have tried this and it doesn't last long term. Old school MMOs like SWG did it to a degree and people pushed constantly for an increase in character limit. People join a server like this, then get tired of the same character or yearn for variety and leave. Or a dominate faction emerges and you either join it or leave.

This really isn't an alt thread it's a pvp worry thread. Let's manage the pvp system on it's own, instead of fracturing the player base and taking away everyone's alts.

Its not a pvp worry threat its a alts will 100% ruin the economy of the game and highly push solo play over socializing and group play if not regulated threat.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options

Its not a pvp worry threat its a alts will 100% ruin the economy of the game and highly push solo play over socializing and group play if not regulated threat.

They don't ruin the economy of other games. Why is this one different?
  • Options
    edited February 12
    How about we make one video game first, before we make separate servers to alleviate everyone's premature fears?

Honestly guys it's a bit much to have a new "lets make a special server" thread almost monthly.

Why do we have to make a separate environment for every faction instead of developing the current plan to work?
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Rp would make the server slower. Because if you made a new character, you would lose everything. That's why you would take better care of your reputation and not take on more risky things like killing people just randomly.because of this, the server might seem to be more Rp, but it would not be specifically so.

RP does not slow down anything. It just gets RP to pick a server that makes it friendly for people who want to RP. I have found RP servers tend to get a better quality of players. That tend to be friendly, helpful and normally a more mature crowd. Often some of the most effective gamers I have played with.
  • Options
    xmixxmix Member
    How about we make one video game first, before we make separate servers to alleviate everyone's premature fears?

Honestly guys it's a bit much to have a new "lets make a special server" thread almost monthly.

Why do we have to make a separate environment for every faction instead of developing the current plan to work?

Anyway, this is an almost 1 year old post. I only wrote 1 answer, it was thrown up again by others. The forum is there to draw attention to problems and we hope that they will deal with it.and their official position is that there will be no differences between the servers.but I think the alt characters will slowly destroy the base of the game.
    it will impair trade and communication between characters.let's say we take team consisting of 6 people.each has 3-5 alt characters.the number of major professions is 20 or less.number of major castes 8.so this team covers the whole game they can be completely independent.they don't trade and do everything for themselves and will go everywhere in teams, 3 teams in 3 cities and that's 6 people
    you can hold back newcomers by making a lot of alts.and you don't take part in the end game for a long time because you want to have more characters and professions.
  • Options

Anyway, this is an almost 1 year old post. I only wrote 1 answer, it was thrown up again by others. The forum is there to draw attention to problems and we hope that they will deal with it.and their official position is that there will be no differences between the servers.but I think the alt characters will slowly destroy the base of the game.
    it will impair trade and communication between characters.let's say we take team consisting of 6 people.each has 3-5 alt characters.the number of major professions is 20 or less.number of major castes 8.so this team covers the whole game they can be completely independent.they don't trade and do everything for themselves and will go everywhere in teams, 3 teams in 3 cities and that's 6 people
    you can hold back newcomers by making a lot of alts.and you don't take part in the end game for a long time because you want to have more characters and professions.

Its an old thread made new. This topic or something similar comes up constantly, not just here. Instead of suggesting ways of making the existing plan work, people want their own personal bubble. Do we want them to make one great game or do we want half a dozen average games that slice up the entire player base.

If we are worried about pvp, design the pvp system to account for those concerns. If there are alt worries with the economy then design around that too.

Separating the player base into half a dozen groups won't help anything or solve any issues.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 12
    No its not the vast majority of the current playerbase havent even tested the game yet we didnt even have alpha 2 yet. Ppl dont even know yet what they are gonna like and what not. Just a typical case of ppl having an unchangable opinion about somehting they havent tried out yet.
    I don't know what you are referring to as "current playerbase".
    MMORPG players know what they like and what they don't like.
    Especially when it comes to playing on separate PvE servers and separate RP servers.
    And... by the way... my opinion on the playablity of Ashes has changes pretty much 180 in the last year and a half. (technically more like a 175)
    I don't need to try something once the design is made crystal clear.
  • Options
    Even a team of 6 players with 5 alts cannot progress a Node very far on their own.
    They cannot win a Siege. They will still need to rely on help from other players to manage Mayoral Caravans.
    They cannot win Castle Sieges on their own.
    Highly unlikely they will be able to manage Social Orgs and Religious Orgs on their own.
    They would still very probably want to have alliances with some Guilds.
  • Options
    edited February 12
    All of my alts are very social.
    Solo means you don't formally join groups for combat.
    Lots of solo MMORPG players are highly social with other players.
    And alts really have nothing to do with how social an MMORPG player is.