Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open world raids

Comments

• Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Noaani wrote: »
    Clearly you missed the point (likely on purpose) that I was saying WoW raids are in no way hard, and anyone that has raided at the top end of almost any other game is able to slip in to WoW raids and function just fine - even though the opposite is not at all true (it usually takes a top end WoW raider about 6 weeks to get up to speed in most other games, as there is more going on, and less artificial assistance).

Nice gatekeeping. The only true raiding is raiding that @Noaani approves of. I will keep that in mind from here on out. I will add that to the list of things I've learned from you, such as "botting is alright if the game is hard" and "PvE players are actually better at PvP than PvP players".

All of the things you say make complete sense to me.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2020
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Nice gatekeeping. The only true raiding is raiding that Noaani approves of.
    I once had someone try to tell me that they consider the marketplace in games to be a form of PvP. They compete with other players in buying and selling goods in order to make the most money. Since they are competing with other players, this is PvP.

Now, you and I probably look at that statement in the same way - I actually laughed out loud when I realised the person that said it was serious.

However, if that person wants to consider that as PvP (this was in Archeage, too), then more power to them.

I would imagine that if this was the only PvP that Ashes offered up, you would not be interested in the game.

If you want to consider WoW raids to be raiding, more power to you.

If that is the only raiding that Ashes offers up, I will not be interested in the game.

• Options
    Any and all content in an MMO should offer up rewards appropriate to the time investment (there is no risk in an MMO, just time investment).

Your suggestion did not take that in to account (in fact it deliberately threw it out the window) and as such is not worth serious consideration.

What you are failing to understand is that the suggestion being put up would allow people to have exactly three encounters per week that they can kill without PvP. That is not content that you can farm - as once killed, there is nothing left to kill until next week.

The real issue I think you have is that you know perfectly well that you are not cut out for real PvE content - no PvP players are. In my experience of both a PvE only game and a PvP centric game, PvE players are better suited to PvP than PvP players are to PvE.

No wonder you don't want PvE without PvP.

What you fail to understand is that when you have a big giant flashing light that says "best loot in the game here", everyone comes along to try and get it.

Ohh look at you trying to think I forgot about your "reward" I amended my proposal by offering you the super l33t NPC slayer title. But what you fail to acknowledge is that both you and @CaptnChuck kept preaching is how you and "most" people just want challenging PvE content. You even said "very few" want it for "farming" which would be the definition of loot. So you're admitting here openly that you only want instanced PvE for loot correct?

You seem to think I fail to understand a lot of things while I'm just reading through your open lying about why you want things. How boring is "There are 3 encounters per week set your schedules for this PvE content to gear up".

Yes of course now I understand the PvE players dominatae when it comes to PvP but us poor PvP players get destroyed by NPCs. This is exactly right how did I not see this coming you got me man, I can't kill NPCs especially the ones inside of instances I'll never be able to keep up with your awesomeness this is exactly why I don't want instance content.

By the way again with the failing... the "giant flashing light" is exactly the point in "contested resources". You know if your guild keeps getting destroyed at these flashing light events, you might have to form an alliance or quit the game because we all know the game fails when you can't get that shiny loot easily.

Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    The real issue I think you have is that you know perfectly well that you are not cut out for real PvE content - no PvP players are. In my experience of both a PvE only game and a PvP centric game, PvE players are better suited to PvP than PvP players are to PvE.

This is without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. Stand out of fire, do DPS rotation, avoid 3 abilities, and win free gear is hard to you as opposed to playing against an actual thinking opponent with a brain who isn't completely scripted, researchable, and predictable. You are just being downright silly at this point.

Congratulations, you killed a trash mob.

Congrats, I just killed most raid bosses. I Cleared all of SSC/TK and most of BT before i got bored of WoW and ended my time raiding. It's just not very challenging to me, sorry.

As I said, trash mobs.

WoW raiding isn't really raiding.

I assist my brothers guild with mythical raids in WoW on occasion, they are not hard. I've played I think five different classes (though I admit, never a tank), and it never takes me more than one pull to get the hang of both the new class and the new encounter - and that is without having ever leveled a character up in that game, or even owning an account other than a trial.

Honestly, if WoW raids are the best we can hope for in regards to PvE in this game, I'll stay away from MMO's for a while. Fortunately, this game has a lot of ex-EQ2 developers making it.

Hahaha, and this guy said on some thread that he's not a WOW player :D Yet he is assitng his guildmates with epic raids in WOW :D
  • Options
    Now I'm just curious to know what main stream MMO games these epic raids came from @Noaani please enlighten us. I hope for your sake they are like 2nd and 3rd place in terms of subscriber success for the development teams all time in MMO history so your argument of "game fail because pvp bad" doesn't come back to bite you.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Options
    Mojottv wrote: »

This is without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. Stand out of fire, do DPS rotation, avoid 3 abilities, and win free gear is hard to you as opposed to playing against an actual thinking opponent with a brain who isn't completely scripted, researchable, and predictable. You are just being downright silly at this point.

Congratulations, you killed a trash mob.

Congrats, I just killed most raid bosses. I Cleared all of SSC/TK and most of BT before i got bored of WoW and ended my time raiding. It's just not very challenging to me, sorry.

As I said, trash mobs.

WoW raiding isn't really raiding.

I assist my brothers guild with mythical raids in WoW on occasion, they are not hard. I've played I think five different classes (though I admit, never a tank), and it never takes me more than one pull to get the hang of both the new class and the new encounter - and that is without having ever leveled a character up in that game, or even owning an account other than a trial.

Honestly, if WoW raids are the best we can hope for in regards to PvE in this game, I'll stay away from MMO's for a while. Fortunately, this game has a lot of ex-EQ2 developers making it.

Hahaha, and this guy said on some thread that he's not a WOW player :D Yet he is assitng his guildmates with epic raids in WOW :D

Assisting my brother and my brothers guild.

I mean, it is literally right there in the post you quoted.
  • Options
    You should really wait and see what the devs PvE content looks like before you start demanding X amount of raid instances with Y difficulty settings. You genuinely have no idea what the games PvE content will play like. If the game launches and the PvE content isn't to your liking you are free to game play a game that you enjoy. Sitting around saying "The PvE content should be challenging" isn't exactly helpful. I for one am excited for some world bosses and I'm willing to bet money myself and many other people will enjoy them.
  • Options
    Sitting around saying "The PvE content should be challenging" isn't exactly helpful.
    You realize, I assume, that this statement that PvE content should be challenging, is a comment made by Intrepid that saw a lot of people back this game.

Backing down on this is like you backing down on PvP wishes you have - Intrepid have told you the game will be heavy PvP, and no doubt that is why you are here.

I want Intrepid to come through with what Intrepid have said, just as you do.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sitting around saying "The PvE content should be challenging" isn't exactly helpful.
    You realize, I assume, that this statement that PvE content should be challenging, is a comment made by Intrepid that saw a lot of people back this game.

Backing down on this is like you backing down on PvP wishes you have - Intrepid have told you the game will be heavy PvP, and no doubt that is why you are here.

Pve is going to be challenging. Just because pvp can happen doesn't change that fact.
  • Options

Pve is going to be challenging. Just because pvp can happen doesn't change that fact.

It has in literally every other game, and Intrepid has not yet given us a reason as to why that could be different here.
  • Options
    I see you've ignored my posts and questions on these MMO games with these epic NPC battles that are so hard most of us couldn't even begin to understand or better yet we've already failed to understand.

GG on the PvE for loot conversation guess I was right after all.. another win for the guy who fails to understand things.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    Book suggestions:
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020

It has in literally every other game, and Intrepid has not yet given us a reason as to why that could be different here.

According to you, even when pve is instanced in other games and pvp isn't present it's easy so I don't get that argument.
  • Options
    XylsXyls Member
    edited September 2020

It's called revolutionizing the genre. It's what we are all hoping Intrepid can do with this game. I'd rather them try and do that then them listen to the whining from PvE'rs trying to limit the scope of PvP because the game vision doesn't match with what they have played in the past, thus resulting in another boring PvE-centric game that dies within a year.
    SIG.png
    We are recruiting PvPers!
  • Options
    I've lurked on these forum's long enough to understand that Noaani is absolutely a care bear plant.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've lurked on these forum's long enough to understand that Noaani is absolutely a care bear plant.

Noaani seems pretty relentless about his/her opinions sure, but I have not gotten any care bear vibes. I share the same concern about open world raids. The way it stands right now there seems to be no real zerg protection in place that will prevent these world bosses from being cake walks.

I just went through the wiki again looking to see if there is anything about actual zerg protection. In all of the statements and references Steven keeps repeating the same naive line about zergs having to know the mechanics as if that is some kinda zerg prevention.

I tell you. If world first raiders in WOW/FFXIV could just throw their entire guild at a fight. The race to would first would be over in the blink of an eye. Wanting high end raids to take place in an appropriate venue is not a care bear mentality. It is exactly the opposite. The idea is to preserve the challenge. A difficult raid boss takes hours to days to progress. Ultimate in FFXIV takes even longer. In fact Ultimate makes it so that you can never out gear the fight to try and preserve the difficulty. You can't have that in an open world, and you can't have that with a zerg.

Like I said in the thread earlier. I don't expect any actual raid bosses in AoC. I can always keep a sub for a game that focuses on this as a side game. There is nothing wrong with AoC having a bunch of cute tank and spanks for people to fight over.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Noaani seems pretty relentless about his/her opinions sure, but I have not gotten any care bear vibes. I share the same concern about open world raids. The way it stands right now there seems to be no real zerg protection in place that will prevent these world bosses from being cake walks.

I just went through the wiki again looking to see if there is anything about actual zerg protection. In all of the statements and references Steven keeps repeating the same naive line about zergs having to know the mechanics as if that is some kinda zerg prevention.

I tell you. If world first raiders in WOW/FFXIV could just throw their entire guild at a fight. The race to would first would be over in the blink of an eye. Wanting high end raids to take place in an appropriate venue is not a care bear mentality. It is exactly the opposite. The idea is to preserve the challenge. A difficult raid boss takes hours to days to progress. Ultimate in FFXIV takes even longer. In fact Ultimate makes it so that you can never out gear the fight to try and preserve the difficulty. You can't have that in an open world, and you can't have that with a zerg.

Like I said in the thread earlier. I don't expect any actual raid bosses in AoC. I can always keep a sub for a game that focuses on this as a side game. There is nothing wrong with AoC having a bunch of cute tank and spanks for people to fight over.

To that I would add that Steven has also pointed out that there will be a DPS metric guaranteeing loot to the group who does better damage to the boss.

While this is all theoretical. I think that is a good idea I can get behind, because it would prevent kill sniping on the boss and if you wanted to make somebody wipe, sure you could wipe them by killing their healers or tanks or whatever but you still want the boss to reset, so that you would ensure that your party / raid gets the loot.
  • Options
    @Noaani

If you read my thread, I think my revelation might quell your concern, about spank and tank of Bosses and Raid Encounters. But, since it was hijacked, I can understand.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46608/the-buffed-boss-and-you
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    What I heard was; Bosses will be effected by surrounding nodes, based on type and size.

How I interpreted this: The surrounding nodes will "buff" the Boss, making the Boss different on every encounter.

So, let's say, you have a Boss in a Stage 5 Economic Node, and has X,Y stats and abilities (standard game boss). Because it's next to a stage 3 divine node, it now receives Z ability. And because of the stage 4 military node, the Boss now receives A,B,C boosts. Those tiny nodes (1-2) surrounding our spawn node, might only offer hit point and resistances. You follow me?

This means no Boss will ever be the same, no matter the node or server. The combinations are almost boundless (4 node types x 6 node stages x number of surrounding nodes, etc).

I am not trying to convince you, into sticking around. This game may not be for you. Some of us are swooned, by what we hear. It's all consentual.

@Hurf Derfman

I resent the Carebear remark!1!! Prepare to die. After I flag. 👹
  • Options

According to you, even when pve is instanced in other games and pvp isn't present it's easy so I don't get that argument.

Nah, it's only really WoW that is too easy.

Both EQ games, Rift, Vanguard back in the day, AoC the 1st, WAR, these games all had some good, hard PvE.

Not every encounter, usually only one or two per content cycle, but that is all you need.

I do get why you would think that though.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

As a seemingly PvP centric player, I'm going to assume you are familar with Archeage.

I spent almost 5 years playing that game, 18 months of that time I was the only pirate on the server, and spent my time farming trees and braziers in Auroria.

You don't do that if you are care bear.

Though like with my above post, I can see why you would think that.

Ashes has got it's PvP content taken care of. We have been told about it, about the systems, when the systems apply and when they don't apply. Really, we know a lot about PvP in Ashes.

We don't know much about PvE in Ashes. Not much at all. Almost nothing, in fact.

Now, it will come as no surprise to you that I love good PvE content. Hopefully, based on this post, you will also understand that I am not at all against (and in fact enjoy) good PvP. I also enjoy it when the two are combined.

In Ashes, we know we will have times where we have PvP. We also know there will be times where we have PvE combined with PvP. What we don't have any knowledge of is when we have just PvE.

Since I enjoy all three, and we currently have knowledge of two out of the three, that last one is what I will fight for.

If Intrepid had have said the game will have PvP, but here is a whole load of info in regards to the PvE we have planned, I'd be here fighting for PvP instead of PvE.

THis is why I am able to say without any hesitation that people saying "you just want to avoid PvP" clearly do not understand the arguments made - as no one is asking for a way to avoid PvP - just the ability to set it aside for a brief period.
  • Options
    I'm kinda through reading posts of PvP players punching PvE players for being bad and wanting easy mode, so I'll gladly punch back

Open world pvp is not about how good players are
    • it is about getting better gear so you can smash the other guy without actually being better.
    • it is about numbers advantage
    • it is about being undetected to ambush others
    • it is about finding anything to gain any fair(during combat)/unfair(before combat) advantage in the game to win a PvP battle
    • it is about socializing in nonverbal way (with your enemy)

MMO such as ashes is first and foremost about socializing with others. If you are here advocating for dumming down PvE and elevating PvP prowess then it only shows that you are actually looking for vindication with only putting time investment in.

Anyone who is serious for being good at PvP is looking for games that provide PvP combat with equal footing - be it a MOBA where it starts with picking your champions or a tactical shooter or any other genre that provides competition with equal footing.

PvE is about a static difficulty and about steady progression - the same way as you might take up running and making progress on how far you can run in 30minutes.
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    BricktopBricktop Member
    edited September 2020
    Tragnar wrote: »
    • it is about getting better gear so you can smash the other guy without actually being better.
    • it is about finding anything to gain any fair(during combat)/unfair(before combat) advantage in the game to win a PvP battle

Very defeatist attitude, no wonder you don't like PvP if the odds constantly feel against you and you are the victim. It's easy to just say oh they had better gear or more people as an excuse. Half of the things on the list aren't even a negative thing and one could argue ambushing and looking for advantages is skill based.
    Anyone who is serious for being good at PvP is looking for games that provide PvP combat with equal footing - be it a MOBA where it starts with picking your champions or a tactical shooter or any other genre that provides competition with equal footing.

This is called an opinion. Some of the most exciting fights I've had in games are when a small group of players kill a much larger group. Zerg busting is very viable in many games like GW2, ESO, DAoC, and plenty of others. Clearly you have never killed double or triple your numbers. Very fun and exciting.
    PvE is about a static difficulty.

Yeah we know. PvP is much more dynamic and requires a lot more thinking on your feet.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Very defeatist attitude
    Saying this right here is in itself a very defeatist attitude.

This is called an opinion.
    If you look at the stats, I think he is close enough to be considered right.

Look at how many MOBA players there are, how many BR players there are, how many FPS players there are. They are all PvP players. Compare that number to the number of PvP centric MMO players, and the ratio would be so small that it is a valid statement to say that anyone who is a serious PvP'er is playing a different genre.

In comparison (and in comparison to the number of PvE MMO players) PvP MMO players are a near insignificant number - this is why PvP focused MMO's have been so few and far between.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited September 2020

Very defeatist attitude, no wonder you don't like PvP if the odds constantly feel against you and you are the victim. It's easy to just say oh they had better gear or more people as an excuse. Half of the things on the list aren't even a negative thing and one could argue ambushing and looking for advantages is skill based.
    Really again? I have been specced for PvP before with a good PvP class, it is almost exclusively fun when ganking 2-3 people at once. Doing a 1v1 in the open world is overwhelmingly one sided and gets boring quickly when your victims have no real chance of fighting back when not having the opening attack

This is called an opinion. Some of the most exciting fights I've had in games are when a small group of players kill a much larger group. Zerg busting is very viable in many games like GW2, ESO, DAoC, and plenty of others. Clearly you have never killed double or triple your numbers. Very fun and exciting.
    Making case for organised group killing loosely formed bigger group? Not a strong addition. Rarely things in games have only 1 dimensional influence and this is not the exception. Pin 2 organised groups against each other and the bigger one usually wins. Fighting against unorganised mob is not an achievement - however fun that might be.

Edit: And yes I have been part of organised rushes to AoE blow up the other zerg it is fun, because it is a giant mess where nobody knows what is really going on when it is happening. It is a fun activity, but doesn't provide you anything with improving as a PvP player - it is the same as jumping into the pool to make a big splash - doesn't help you swim well
    PvE is about a static difficulty.

Yeah we know. PvP is much more dynamic and requires a lot more thinking on your feet.

When on equal footing yes. However open world PvP focuses on these things in the least amount. That is why any world PvP tries to get advantages that mitigate any dynamic thinking.

I love PvP in many games, I have played league on and off for 7 seasons now and except the first few I managed to achieve diamond rank. I just don't find enjoyment in PvP that focuses on removing the options from your opponents.

In ashes you have PvP focused around socializing - similarly as in real life where having a big army is usually gigantic advantage, but doesn't decide everything.

― Plato
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020
    Tyrantor wrote: »

I don't need to understand PvE well to understand you just want a safe farming spot away from PvP regardless if you have to "risk" pvp to and fro.
    @Tyrantor

You really are special aren't you? Its truly eye-opening to see how "special" some people can be when it comes to discussing different opinions on a subjective topic. You refuse to even bother understanding other's opinions; all you can do is type. Type bullshit.

I stick by what I said earlier. Don't type, cuz you can't contribute anything valuable to this discussion.
  • Options
    CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
    edited September 2020

Please prove how they can't design the AI in this game to be difficult with the pretense of PvP?

@Tyrantor

Anyone, with a basic idea of how games work, will be able to tell you that its difficult to design consistent mechanics around variables that are highly inconsistent. You don't need to be some sort of programming genius. Its common sense, something you clearly lack.

I've explained this in detail, MULTIPLE times, in my previous replies. I'll quote one for you, cuz I know that you can't read.
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

When a boss is instanced, you only have to account for a fixed group size attacking that boss.You can tune that boss however you want, fairly easily, because you can easily account for all the players in that group. But when the boss is open world, the no. of players that will be attacking the boss won't be fixed. There can be multiple groups. Some players will be PvPing and some will be fighting the boss. Some will be alternating between the two. So its very difficult to balance a boss around player contention, as there is no fixed variable that you can design difficulty around. So the boss ends up being easy more often than not. Anybody who has ever played an MMO in their life, knows this. You don't need to be a programmer.

And yes, since you're obviously going to ask, I do program. I'm an engineer.
  • Options
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

I don't need to understand PvE well to understand you just want a safe farming spot away from PvP regardless if you have to "risk" pvp to and fro.
    @Tyrantor

You really are special aren't you? Its truly eye-opening to see how "special" some people can be when it comes to discussing different opinions on a subjective topic. You refuse to even bother understanding other's opinions; all you can do is type. Type bullshit.

I stick by what I said earlier. Don't type, cuz you can't contribute anything valuable to this discussion.

Be careful chuckles. You have already been warned by the moderator to be pleasant and kind.
  • Options
    Be careful chuckles. You have already been warned by the moderator to be pleasant and kind.
    His attitude towards @Tyrantor is understandable, because Tyrantor is repeating the same thing in every post totally ignoring the arguments that others present to him.

Everything that is not an agreement to his stance is met with a copy pasta posts about his assumptions what the other posters want in the game totally disregarding the points presented to him. Not to say that he several times fairly admits to have no knowledge about raid content.

He is the kind of person that blocks conversation to actively push his view as the only right one. The same tactic that "flat earth" community pushes their narrative.

― Plato
  • Options
    His attitude towards @Tyrantor is understandable, because Tyrantor is repeating the same thing in every post totally ignoring the arguments that others present to him.

Everything that is not an agreement to his stance is met with a copy pasta posts about his assumptions what the other posters want in the game totally disregarding the points presented to him. Not to say that he several times fairly admits to have no knowledge about raid content.

He is the kind of person that blocks conversation to actively push his view as the only right one. The same tactic that "flat earth" community pushes their narrative.

Yeah that's absolutely not an excuse for name calling. Do you see other people calling each other names? Are you and I calling each other names?
  • Options

I spent almost 5 years playing that game, 18 months of that time I was the only pirate on the server, and spent my time farming trees and braziers in Auroria.

You don't do that if you are care bear.

Eghm... farming trees and braziers for 18 months is exactly what carebear would do :D
  • Options
    @Bricktop Allowing this abuse and active block of conversation.(repeating same accusations and his same view without any points to support his view besides his personal preference). So if you are worried only about namecalling then we don't need moderators but a simple ai with phrase recognition for insults. Unless it is cheaper to have mods instead of the ai :joy:

I seldom participate in other discord debates, but if someone there does this s*** to repeat his view without making any points towards his claim and refusing to address the points of others then the mods warn him and if repeated then they ban him.

I can understand why mods on this forum are only focused on polite language. Especially when one mod responded to me that his personal opinion is that a lot of the topics here on forums are just about garbage. Even though he/she(dont know really) made it in context of counterarguments and specifically calling certain opinions stupid. (which is used by someone to express that the said opinion is not appliable under any conditions - for example the opinion that ashes should have space travel with spaceships)

― Plato